Sunday, April 6, 2014

catching up

I realized today when I was looking for an old pattern, that this blog was a useful way to post pictures of finished projects and for me to track the patterns I used.  so I decided to do a bit of a catch up with some recent and not so recent finished projects.  over the last several years (yes, it's been almost 3 years since I posted).  I've mostly been making non-clothing.  I tend to make the same stuffed animal over and over again.  so I must have made about 10 elijah's, 12 of the mak penguins, and others.  I've also started adapting patterns for my needs.  (all the stuff toys are made with size 7 (4.5 mm) double point needles)
This was my attempt at making a giraffe.  after I got tired of making too many elephants, I moved on (though elijah is still my go to baby gift).  

Pattern: Jellybum giraffe and elijah (March 2013)
Modification: similar to the tiger i made, major modification to make it bigger.  really only used the patter for the head and follow similar idea for the body as the Elijah pattern.  This is basically how I make all my stuff animals now.
Yarn: knitpicks swish DK


my friend M wanted a "funny" colored giraffe, but as I started, it started looking like Dino from the Flintstone's, so I modified the pattern again.  
Modifcations: no ear/horn things, instead of arms, extra short legs on on bottom, and a tail.  since I hate seaming, I love the elijah pattern that lets me attach directly to the previous piece.  (April 2013)
Yarn: loops and threads pale blue and purple.

I went to visit my niece in LA and she was obsessed with the minions.  so I used the left over purple yarn and made her an evil minion from the movie, based on the happy meal toy that I had.  I then attempted a regular on with some lion's brand yarn.  as I told a friend, I was making myself an army.  all  said and done I made about 10 of theses little yellow and blue guys.  (summer - winter 2013)
Pattern: my own

While visiting my brother during the holidays, he asked that I make his family some xmas stockings for next year.  I decided to start early, since I've been know to go through periods of not doing any knitting.  we searched the web for different designs and here's what I came up with.
Pattern: Basic Sock pattern from "the knitter's handy book of patterns" with a CO of 72 (they are pretty big, can fit a DVD easily). 
Design was based on Mini Christmas Stocking by littlecottonrabbits.typepad.co.uk
Again, I liked her design, but wanted real stockings and not mini ones.  (Jan-Feb 2014)


Sometime during 2013, a friend asked if I could make her a coffee cozy, so she can stop using the paper ones that starbucks gives out when she gets her coffee, it was a quick and easy way to use up some yarn. 
Pattern: Leaning Rib Coffee Cozy by Sarah Bulin
Modification: none


This bear was made to use up some old stash and break out the monotony of making coffee cozies.  The same friend that requested the original coffee cozy, asked if i could a make a few more for her.  I decided to use up some yarn from my stash, but after making 3 and not making much of a dent in the stash, I made this bear.   (i had first made this bear in regular colors for my nephew in 2012) 
Pattern: Knit Ruby Bear from the Deborah Norville colection
Modification: again, since I hate seaming, I made the head in the round, and modeled the body after elijah.  

that's it for now...
E









No comments: