Monday, November 23, 2009

Acid Dying


As E promised, photos were forthcoming. Slowly but surely. Last year on her trek through the midwest, we did some kool-aid dying. The kitchen smelled like fruit punch for a week or two. But the yarn did smell great relatively speaking. So this year, we did some acid dying of sock blanks and tweed sock yarn. First up the tweed yarn...all yarn is from knitpicks. I was going for a nice deep burgundy tweed yarn. E was going for an orange. I think mine, the one shown heating away in the middle photo and the left skein in last photo are the yarn I dyed or at least mixed the powders, succeeded. E's yarn is the one on the right in the last photo...just a paler shade of maroon...apparently we should start with lots of yellow dye and slowly add the red. Or just buy the orange dye would be better.


The second set of yarn pictured, is actually want we did first. Sock blanks. E was inspired by the monet color schemes (pale yellows, blues and greens). I was going for shades of greens, blues and aquas. I'm pretty certain neither of us succeed on this front. I do agree next time I do sock blanks, it should be done outside to minimize the mess...although it can not prevent me from failing to put my gloves on repeatedly and ending up looking like I had smurf hands. we'll see how it knits up.
S



No comments: