I officially stopped using dryer sheets about 7 years ago. I figured that the excess waste can't be good for the environment and I didn't know what chemicals were on the commercial sheets. So, for years, I've existing without anything in my dryer except the clothes or towels being dried. This worked fine until we moved into the "House of Static" this summer. The laundry room does not have heat, and that is what causes the static. Suffice to say, when I leave the house, I always double check for any stray socks clinging to my pant leg. Over on Ravelry, I'm in the Live Simply and Green Craft groups and I decided to search to see if anyone had any static solutions. I happened upon this pattern for
Felted Dryer Balls. I headed over to Joann Fabrics to get some inexpensive Patons Classic Wool in Paprika, New Olive and Blue Denim and set to felting. The result were these:

These are the three smaller ones. I have three larger ones too for a total of six. I must say that while not all of the static is gone, it is significantly diminished. We also have the pleasure of playing "Find the Balls" when we pull stuff out of the dryer. I've got some baby knits blocking and drying, so as they settle up over the next few days, I'll post the results.
I've also been lucky enough to find a great group of gals in town to knit with on Tuesday nights. I'll be taking the Clapotis that I am making for my sister with me this week. We meet at a coffeeshop downtown, so I get the pleasure of knitting, talking and having hot chocolate all in one evening.
-B
No comments:
Post a Comment