Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Shawl knitting

Grandma's Ishbel

I recently found out that my grandfather is being moved to the nurshing home. Which leaves my grandmother at home for the first time in a very long long time. I wanted to let her know that I was thinking about her even if I couldn't be there. About the same time I was reading one of the blossom street books where they were knitting a prayer shawl and I thought that might be appropriate for something to send to grandma to let her kno I was thinking about her. From the ESK Malabrigo project club came 3 skeins "raspberry" silky merino. As I already had a clapotis in a similar color, I thought it might work for a shawl for my grandmother. I wanted to make it as large as possible, so I did the large stocking stitch triangle for the Ishbel. I also tried to do the large lace repeat. Unfortunately I ran out of yarn. Whats below is what's left after weaving in the ends.



I blocked the shawl this morning and it was dry by this afternoon. Now I just need to package it up and send it off to grandma. I hope she knows someone is thinking about her when she wears it. I had used a lifeline, seen in the first picture below. The second is pre-blocking.



-S