
I have recently finished reading Knitting Under the Influence by Claire LaZebnik. I had noticed that some "knitting novels" were popping up on the local bookshelves, so I headed over to the local library to check and see if they had any. This was the only one in stock that they had (I have two others on hold), so I grabbed it and took it home to curl up in bed. The story is about three women in their late twenties who are best friends. The ladies meet every Sunday morning for their knitting group. The story follows the three women as they navigate their way through life and love. One girl, Sari, is a behavioral therapist who falls in love with the dad of an autistic patient. Lucy is a research scientist who is caught in a bad relationship with an uncaring fellow scientist. Finally, Kathleen is a triplet, but her two sisters are like the Olsen twins and star in movies together. Kathleen is the fraternal triplet to their identical duo, so she always feels like the odd woman out. The story is set in Los Angeles and tackles the tough issue of autism and how it's treatment has changed.
However, at it's heart it is a romantic and cute book. It's light and airy, much like a beach read, but the novel is predictable. Which, I have to be honest, is sometimes why I read books like this. Who am I kidding? I keep a database of Nora Roberts novels to make sure that I don't read the same one twice! A unique facet of the book is that the author included a few cocktail recipes at the end of the book that have been paired with the major knitting work in the book. Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a fun and simple read that makes you laugh and wonder about your own big life decisions.
-B
However, at it's heart it is a romantic and cute book. It's light and airy, much like a beach read, but the novel is predictable. Which, I have to be honest, is sometimes why I read books like this. Who am I kidding? I keep a database of Nora Roberts novels to make sure that I don't read the same one twice! A unique facet of the book is that the author included a few cocktail recipes at the end of the book that have been paired with the major knitting work in the book. Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a fun and simple read that makes you laugh and wonder about your own big life decisions.
-B





2 comments:
Too funny! I read Nora Roberts sometimes too and you do need to keep track since she writes so much! I thought I was the only one that kept an excel spreadsheet of all books read. Thanks for the book suggestion. I put this one on hold at my library.
Nice change of pace from my typical Danielle Steel.
-S
Post a Comment