
I recently finished reading The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs. It was a wonderful book that both knitters and non-knitters would enjoy. Jacobs does not get so technical with the knitting going on in the book that she loses non-knitting readers, and that's a good thing because this book is worth reading for everyone. It is a stirring tale about Georgia Walker, single mom and NYC yarn shop owner, and her daughter, Dakota. Things are going just fine for Georgia and Dakota, and their many friends, Anita, Peri, Darwin, Marty, and others, until Dakota's father re-enters the picture. The book is very emotional as it places each character at a turning point in his/her life. You will laugh and cry (or sob as I did in the last 30 pages) as you read, but most of all you will enjoy it. Julia Roberts has bought the options to the book to make it into a movie, and she will fit Georgia's role wonderfully. My pick for the African-American man to play her lost love is Jesse L. Martin from Law and Order fame, but the role as of yet, remains uncast.
One of the more clever aspects of the book is that it lives on past the page. One can visit the Friday Night Knitting Club website and enjoy reading group questions, purchase the book, or see when Kate Jacobs is touring by your town. Also, there is a Walker and Daughter website and "join" the club, check out yarn websites, find a scarf pattern, and experiment with Dakota's baking recipes. I have enjoyed playing on both websites, and personally enjoy it when authors realize the potential of different media.





2 comments:
This book is on my hold list at the library. I just finished Knitting Under The Influence and Family Tree. Both were really enjoyable too.
I'll have to try and read this this summer. My stack keeps growing.
S.
Post a Comment