Thursday, February 14, 2008

Jaywalkers and Cheese doodles

As several individuals will attest to, I have been very dissatisfied with many of my most recent projects. I've started them, gotten halfway through them and frogged them or just being truly annoyed. I needed something more challenging.
I decided it was finally time to do some destashing...and learn a new skill. I swore that I would never knit socks. The fiscal responsibility in me screaming why would anyone pay $20 just for the yarn when I can get a perfectly acceptable pair of socks for considerably less, and I don't have to knit them. I'm beginning to see the error of my ways and I'm thinking some nice merino socks in the dead of winter might be the perfect thing for a cold midwestern day. So here is my first successful attempt at the toe-up sock. So far it is a toe-up Jaywalker by Grumperina with Claudia Hand-painted in the Hokie colorway. I have been frogging a lot of things lately, we'll see if this one makes it to full size before I frog it.



But here's where the cheese doodles come in, or lack there of. Apparently the yarn is pretty heavily saturated in paint...and is slowly painting my hands to be Hokie colors. I'm sure there's someone out there jumping up and down for my newly visible school spirit. So the last couple of nights, my hands are managing to look like I've been indulging in some fried processed cheese foods...okay maybe I have, but no cheese doodles were consumed in the process of knitting these socks...thus far.


I'm thinking these socks are going to need a very good soak to hopefully get some excess dye out of them before they're worn I'm going to end up with some very dyed feet.

-S

2 comments:

Rima said...

Hmmm. I have been thinking about the same thing... starting, frogging, and then being in a very bad mood.

Cindi and Bill said...

Hi, was looking through some blogs on Mosaic's site and thought I'd comment on your problem. I had the same thing with Claudia's Hokie yarn...fingers stained. I emailed her and she suggested a bath in hot vinegar/water for a few minutes to set the colors.

I heated the water until just before boiling added the socks for 5-10 minutes...so far no orange/maroon feet although each time a wash them in Soak there seems to be some bleeding. Good luck!