Sunday, June 10, 2007

Damn you, Martha!

I had noticed a few weeks ago that the local Michael's was restructuring the stationery section. Now, I'm not a scrapbooker. We take a few vacations, but not enough that I've been compelled to start yet another crafting addiction. I also can't say that I have been swayed by the fluorescent and glitter styles that seem part and parcel with most scrapbooking accoutrements. However, that may have changed today. While trolling through Michael's looking for mini-baseball bat holders (wedding related, we're huge baseball nuts), and purchasing my crochet needs to start my lessons over at Crafty Daisies, I happened upon the paper section.

Oh, and what a paper section Michael's has. I had been speaking with S last night, and we were discussing how I had just maxed out my thank you card pile, and am in need of some new ones. I found $2 a box ones with ten in a box at the clearance section of Staples today, by the way, but have been tossing around the idea of creating my own. So, I snuck over to look at the blank cards to see if any of the companies make them of recycled paper (no luck thus far). I was impressed by the opportunities that may be out there for making my own cards. I noticed that there was a lot less glitter and fluorescentness than I had originally thought there was, and was leaving the store very energized by the possibilities.

As I turned toward the checkout counter, some subtle colors, streamlined designs, and a familiar name caught my eye. I oohed and ahhed over the new section that had been part of the restructuring. Perfection, thy name is Martha. Damn her and her cleverness. Damn her, and her staff for creating such beautiful papers, ribbons, stamps, punches, and storage boxes. I stayed strong though, and did not purchase anything. I kept repeating must buy a house first, must buy a house first, in my mind in order to get out of the store without blowing the whole paycheck. But, I shall return to the aisle that is Martha Stewart Crafts. The link prior will take you to the newest potential addiction for me.

P.S. RIP Unicorn Dishcloth. You tried to make it through your first ride in the washing machine, but to no avail. I shall frog you and try another style of dishcloth so that you my have a second chance of happiness in this house.

-B

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That Martha can sure make me feel inadequate until I remind myself that she has an army of people behind her!