so I finished the red scribbling shawl. The pictures don't come out very well, I tired to take a close up of it so that you can see the beading in the Tillie Thomas yarn. working with the Tillie yarn was a bit more of a pain, since the beading would get caught on the mohair yarn every now and than, otherwise it wasn't too different than othe black one I made.
Pattern: Scribbling Shawl (Mason-Dixon)
Yarn: Tillie Thomas - Rock Star and Rowan - kidsilk spray
needle: see picture and story below
After making the first scribbling shawl, I complained that the circular needles made it hard to kep the loops the same size and was looking for a nice pair of big double points. However, I could never find anything bigger than size 13, so I decided I would try to make my own. Since scribbling doesn't really require any specific size, this was perfect. With the help of S. we stopped at the lowes in Va and bought a dowl that they cut into thirds for me, though they did split one of the ends. We picked up some sand paper and a pencil sharpener (one of those with the extra large size for kids pencils) and with a little work. I got my knitting needles. They are not quite the same length becuase of the split end, and a bit rough, but that smoothed out after a little bit, and I think you can spend more time sanding it get the smoothness, but I was too lazy.
will try to finsih the hollywood knits sweater next.
- E





2 comments:
Fabulous!! I love the handmade needles!!
-B
Very cool! How awesome that you made your own needles. too.
Post a Comment